Friday, December 15, 2017

Pretty festive soup~



My mom's Crown Ducal soup bowls and her silver soup spoons~♥


A home in our 'hood♥


Don't they look like mischief personified?♥




We had a wonderful beautiful snowfall..with very chilly temps mind you but all is calm all is white..♥

The day it fell from the sky this magic..I took a short walk and this pretty home caught my eye..I live in a neighbourhood of many pretty homes..they are all different..bungalows..cottages..all quaint and charming and many are historic.

It's a fairy tale village you know..old as the hills~

Anyway this one just popped out w/ the lights inside and out..I took several other pics of other homes....but this one was my fave..this home..:)

I am loving felt on our tree more and more..especially after shattering many glass ones bringing an upstairs bedroom tree outside..no one sleeps up there anymore..so one could be sent outside..I get lazy and left the balls on the tree dragging it out of the attic nook..the lights didn't work..blah blah blah and my laziness shattered glass balls:(
So yes..lovin felt w/my clumsiness this year.

Calendars are coming to an end..I loved this Shutterfly one this year on a stand..have to look into making a new one..and making 2 books..our trip to Provence..and one of Christmases past..I have pics..but I'd love to take out a book every year:)
Too late for this year..
By the way the cute little add ons to the last pic are from..here..

Christmas cards have started to arrive..one always includes a photo of the year of their daughter:)♥




Again in Ricardo's magazine..I liked a presentation he made for shooter/verrine soups..it was a cream of cauliflower.

I am not an entertainer per say for groups apart from family anymore..
but I wanted the pretty presentation for just J and I..

Just brussel sprout leaves and pom seeds..how to dress up a bland looking soup..but not bland tasting..

I didn't use his recipe because I make soups ..w/ a little bit of this and a little bit of that..

Ma recette..enough for 6 servings..at least..

1 tbsp of butter

1/2 onion chopped

1 clove garlic chopped

1 clove of garlic confit crushed through the garlic press..

(I love that stuff..I first discovered it at one on my fave Instagrammers Teri Turner..No Crumbs Left..I follow her blog too but her stories on IG are so refreshing..she's so real..and fun and talented and knowledgeable and generous).

1 large baking potato cut up in chunks  about 1 cup
about 2 cups cauliflower florets

ap 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock..
1/2 cup cream
salt and pepper
1 tbsp maple syrup
fresh herbes de Provene..to taste..

I say fresh because we bought some at a market in Provence..and they taught me that mine were getting old..Adieu old bonjour new.

So..melt the butter ..sauté the onion and garlics..don't worry if you do not have garlic confit..

add potatoes..cauliflower and stock..cover and simmer until fork tender.

Using an emulsion blender ..blend all..adding the maple syrup..s and p(taste taste taste..nothing worse than a soup that tastes like nothing),the cream and finally the herbes de Provence.

Your consistency should be like a delish cream of soup..and it is delicious.

Top w/ that festive garnish..It's Christmas outfit♥

Perfect holiday soup:)

Have a lovely day~

36 comments:

  1. Dearest Nana, lucky you, living in such amazing fairy tale village!
    Here we can see snow falling on the mountains top, but, as I live at seaside I can just watch raining.

    That white soup seems to be delicious and so fancy. I'll cook it soon.

    I wish you, with all my heart, a Merry white Christmas.
    Lots of hugs
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seaside sounds heavenly to me.As a realtor for almost 30 yrs..every time a waterfront came up for sale..prior to this last home..I would show Jacques..he was my worst waterfront client;)Not seaside mind you..lakefront..so we are inland..forever;)

      Delete
  2. The snow looks so pretty~ That soup looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had cauliflower and I loved his garnish..I am a fool for pretty Penny:)

      Delete
  3. I love soups. this looks wonderful !
    your post is beautiful like always !
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. So ccccold..takes your breath away when the wind hits;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious. I'm looking at different soup recipes tonight, so this will be added to the list.
    Funny, but I can't see one of the little felt ornaments without thinking of the darling ones you have made. I saw more that your daughter shared on IG. They are treasures! I hope you will share more of these cute little creations. Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah.I won't forget that you like them..you just never know if someone likes felt:)♥
      This year's ornament was pitiful.
      I'd like to find another Alicia Paulsen..she creates the best felt ornaments that I have found..I think I started w/ the best:(

      Delete
  6. Oh there is so much to drink in here. Like Sarah, I want to see more of your felt ornies! I have always loved the ones you made for me. They are treasures. When my children were growing up we had not a store bought ornament on the tree. Only handmade by myself. I wonder now what happened to them all. It pains me to think about it! Your soup looks delicious. This is soup weather for sure. I love when you talk about your neighborhood. It sounds very charming and beautiful, almost like living in a picture postcard and your photo of your neighbor's house is beautiful with the snow, etc.Snow this time of year is so beautiful, unlike the later winter when it gets all dirty. For now, for Christmas it is pristine. I love it. Your wee collage is delightful. You add such charm to everything you create. I am your biggest fan, lol. Love you to bits and all that you share. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I had tears when you said my biggest fan:)
      Can you tell I am nostalgic? OMgee Marie next life no sentimentality genes for me please!
      Loved your fruit cake..LOVED it..so much..it could win a prize.Everything is edible..you would choke on my skiers:)

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  7. So many pretty Christmas images. Coming here always puts me in the spirit of the season. Love cauliflower soup and your garnish is just right. Lovely post Monique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny.I think I try and cheer myself up too at times with this web camaraderie that is so dear to me.
      So dear to me.

      Delete
  8. A friend of mine, from France, has a set of the same blue China. She is missing a few pieces and so I always look for it at Estate sales, but have never seen even one dish! I suspect people never let go of it because it is so beautiful! The maple syrup in the soup is a surprise to me. I would have never thought to add that. Sweet little felted ornaments!💕🎄❄️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be shocked at the following words:
      :I found a set of dinner plates.. 6 and dessert plates 6..for $15.00 total at a place called Village Des Valeurs"..Jacques said:"Do we need them?" OYOYOY..I shop better on my own..I left them there.I wasn't buying them for the $ value..perhaps I should have said that lol..:(

      In QC..we basically add maple syrup to everything;) Salad dressings..cream of soups..yogurt..it is plentiful here ..at airport duty free shops..maple products abound:)

      Delete
  9. Just made cauliflower soup -but yours looks prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Monique, you make everything SO beautiful! Your mother's china and the silver spoon... all topped off with that perfect little Christmas garnish! And, I know it was delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I had to chuckle about the broken ornaments... I'm not going to say there were a few of those here... but... the felt seems a good idea! I just placed a little knit one on our tree this week and I'm thinking that may be the way to go, too. LOL! You are a wonderful wife to make your and Jacque's dinner time to special. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanna I think you should have at least one little tree w/ all hand knits:) Made by none other than you:)
      Have a beautiful da! PS I cringe to think of what will happen w/ my mom's things later in life..I should train the boys now to like old;)

      Delete
  11. Ah! Just like Dorathy from the Wizard of Oz, you got your wish for a white Christmas. Hopefully the snow hangs around till then or some fresh stuff will give it an extra coating. The soup looks very pretty and I love the bowls and serving spoons you are using. From the photo of the calendar the boys look so much younger. It is hard to believe how much they change in a two year period. I see it with my three two. Even little Lillian is losing her baby look perhaps because she is tying tp keep up with her older sister. Bon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes as that was last year's calendar which was made in the previous Sept..I guess..
      Honestly Terry..I have to get a recent pic..

      They are all so tall..not Noah yet but he told me he was going to grow fast soon..Lucas is a young man now..in his school uniform..he is a true teen..and looks like royalty lol:)Max and Oli SOOOOO tall..and Max has matured so much too..Oli is still the youngest in spirit..a whole movie if his brothers are there seems a bit boring and he wants to do anything sporty! Noah is so handsome and his smile is perfected! His mom takes so many pics..Noah looks exactly like his mom and dad..they look like brother and sister:)Great hair.As thick as thick can be.
      Seeing Wonder w/ Noah..his mom and even Jacques is coming ..this aft..Bon packing nana!!

      Delete
  12. Every photo here is a Christmas card! This soup looks divine -- especially with the beautiful presentation. I like making it look special for just Rick and me. He deserves it as much, if not more, than any company! The cina and spoon are perfect.

    I've done that too-lazy thing and broken more than a few! I have a lot of felt on the lower levels of my tree, thanks to years of living with cats! The lower branches get only felt or unbreakables! Lizzie is remarkably nonchalant around the tree with little interest so far. Hope it stays that way.

    The homes in your neighborhood look lovely. Don't you just love the lights after a snowfall? Today we get Rick's tree and our Baby Grand is being christened. A good day! I hope yours is, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A GRAND day..yes I love lights w/ snow..last night I drove home in the dark..I rarely do anymore and homes w/ lights sparkled..one was unbelievable..with swgas across the whole front..estate like:)
      We only put candles in every window now..and I added that wee tree w/ the breakables;) In young family areas in a town over..the huge blow ups are so popular!
      I don't mind anything.. it's all in the spirit of creating magic.
      Kitties and babies love decorations don't they:)?

      Delete
  13. You are so blessed to live in such a charming area. I ♥ that home in the photo. The lighting is so beautiful.

    Your soup is pretty in blue with your mother's beautiful soup bowls! I love cauliflower soups and I think I need to learn how to make garlic confit. I will see if I can find the recipe! My garlic is still hanging in the garage in a huge bunch. I just snip off a bulb now when I need some :)

    Charming little mischief makers ♥♥! I am bookmarking the link to the add ons :)

    Can you believe only one week to Christmas??? Wrapping presents this afternoon and tomorrow little Mr. Bo comes for a visit to Nana and Papa's house ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe..it is flying by..

      I saw Wonder..w/ J and M and N..even though I read the book.I teared up..so did we all except Noah!
      Jacques too!

      The cast is sublime.
      Perfect casting..
      Everyone should see it♥
      Happy weekend to you:)

      Delete
  14. Love that first blue and white plate shot!! True blue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful dishes Mon love the colour!
    I tried your Ricardo's cookies, i had to throw them out!😟

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blue plates and bowls are beautiful - as is your gorgeous home! Looks like you're all ready for the holidays :) Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not mine..a home in the neighbourhood:)♥
      I love the dishes too:)

      Delete
  17. Yum - I love cauliflower. Do you like it roasted? Lovely, cozy Hudson house... :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog is awesome and very informative keep Sharing this type of blog.

    ดูหนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete