Monday, May 9, 2016

Varia~Before real gardening sets in~
















Tis' Myosotis Season♥

Oh my darlin' oh my darlin' ~

The boys came for a sleepover..how much energy do 3 growing boys have and how much of an appetite..do they have?

They played football outside/soccer for at least 2 hrs non stop before we came in for dinner..and they had had their first football practice in the AM..their uncle Alain popped by w/ Noah on his motorcycle..he is a police officer and loves to ride his motorcycle:)

they loved everything..especially the pizzas...banana bread and chips..and the cinnamon rolls the next morning..


I have to tell you that TV time at night ..is cuddle time..and they love foot massages..hair rubbing..lol..the whole nine yards..and equal time to all..;)
Bed was 11PM..and we usually tell stories..well Max and Oli and I do in our room..and Jacques and Lucas upstairs..Max started then said you do it nana..  Oli was gently snoring by the time I started..it was instantaneous..and Max drifted off shortly thereafter..Lucas the same upstairs..


The next day..when we were alone for lunch..I had to try those newfangled avocado flowers..so much easier than I expected.
They sure do pretty up  a plate..that was my first try imagine when we have it down pat? So so cute!
Mother's Day?
Not for me..as I am going out w/ my girls..but if you are treating your mom:)
I found the great tutorial  here.
What a nice CHEF!!

I had made egg salad sandwiches the day before..and I had a craving for a chicken salad I used to eat while working in a mall while going to school..
I loved those jobs..I had a few..my favorite though was Eaton's cosmetics dept..Picture..a sort of Macy's..gleaming counters,fragrances,gorgeous beauty products.
And we got samples..it was so much fun to suggest products..and help:)
I must admit I sometimes  I now feel intimidated in such stores in those depts..
perhaps because we had a beauty salon in back of my office before I retired..and I went in for something..  a shampoo I think..and the owner came over and suggested a line of her products for skin that was..well aging..

what? 

So since then..I have known that the cosmeticians..are a bit direct for me..now..
Let me live in my Eaton's bubble please.

When I was in back of the counter..like Selfridge's:)

And I would have never suggested such a thing.

And I never went back in there.Why ruin a perfectly great day.

Yet..give me a hardware store that I have been frequenting for about 40 years..
it was small and dusty and full of interesting things..set up on boards..and the owner..a woman..was always so nice to me..her son was there sometimes..and he took over at one point..
and the hardware store burned down and they rebuilt..
and the son was always so nice..
Hello young lady he would say to me when I went in..(he said that to everyone I came to see;)..
and then he had kids and we had kids and 42 yrs later I am still going there..and just this past week he said to me..:"Hello young lady.." And although I do not believe him at all..I will go back..because he did not tell me he had creams for aging skin:)

And because now HIS son is very involved in the business..and now his family..is neighbour to my family and because his grandaughter Katie  plays with my grandsons..and because she said this ..this past week..to MY daughter..sitting on my daughters' porch looking at her house..:

" you know.. when I am all grown up..I will still live in that house with my kids..and the boys will live here with their kids..and all our kids will be best friends~"

well..I will always go back there.

What a tangent..

..so when I worked in those stores..on payday..I would sometimes go for lunch w/ a friend..and have the chicken salad that came shaped like a dome(ice cream scoop)..so I did it again :)
It was such a treat for me.
I also liked to buy my mom a trinket or something.
She never bought herself anything I think.
Lipstick.. a pair of gloves..her Life magazine,Reader's Digest..oh and her cigarettes.
You would never have thought of my mom holding a cigarette..
but she did.
We never thought anything of it.

It seemed like everyone smoked back then.
And played bridge..:)

I thought about her all day on Mother's Day of course..

MD.. Jacques and I made Shrimp and Grits:)
And watched home movies from Florida♥



and the day before I enjoyed a lovely day with my girls..
we had General Tao..lol ..so very French..
and shopped..

we are Nashville lovers..

and now I have the sweatshirt to prove it..

Nashville is a country music..type of Soap Opera..that we found w/ Connie Britton after Friday Night Lights..
even Jacques watches it..

he prefers Marseilles..w/ G Depardieu on Netflix..yet..eases into an episode of Nashville:)


I don't blame him..

Have a LOOK
he is one of the Nashville stars

I will never grow up concerning that song.


I am the grateful recipient of  a new very pretty journal..and a mini birdbath that will look like ..well life sized in the Fairy Garden..tulips..cards..
spoiled.


I am VERY grateful to have a very bright room in the basement..where all my "stuff" is stored..it's not a pretty room..
it's the one I do the most things in apart from the kitchen.
I do keep a little stash upstairs..because I do prefer being upstairs..but most of my menagerie is in that room..corner windows..south facing..
But it is not like a magazine and I have said so.. my sewing machine is set up..a card table for other crafts..gift wrapping..stamping..calligraphy.. and with the boys..I just stored the mini set in the attic..
there's a long table for computers and printers..a TV (I never watch it)..and a stereo..(vintage for my cassettes LOL).
Jacques stores 3 wine glass carboys  there too when in production..
I can leave my ironing board up etc..
I have seedlings growing above what you see..2 easels are set up..

FUNCTIONAL..all of it..but not Pottery Barn..and not a Pin It room:)
Just thought I should tell you:)
I have a true dislike for that chair..it used to be at a breakfast island in a home we lived in many years ago.. that chair..followed us here..it is so uncomfortable..but it's the only one high enough..~
The drafting table cannot go any lower..
Any suggestions?:)
Bonne semaine!










53 comments:

  1. I'm going to try one of those avocado roses today, they're gorgeous! I posted a video on it last week but didn't get around to trying it --- Happy Mother's Day Monique <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue..they do them w/ mangoes too..they look great on a plate..can't wait to see what you do..hope you had a nice MD:)

      Delete
  2. I had a lovely visit with you this morning! What a wonderful weekend you had.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to spend simple days with family, just playing and eating and watching TV. It doesn't always have to be something fancy.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and full weekend you had.. feeding your hungry boys.
    How pretty that flower avocado looks on the plate, do you squeeze lemon juice over it, to stop it turning black ?
    I loved seeing your atelier, do I see paintings from Carol G. pinned up there ? lucky you. About your chair, just a thought, when my grand children were small we used to have a contraption that fitted under the legs of any chair and we we e able to higher or lower it depending on the child using it. have a look on internet to see if anyone still makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea..never even thought of an adjustable height chair..
      Yes I puts lemon juice in a small spray bottle..so pretty plated.. we eat one almost every day..I had to try;)
      Yes it looks like an art gallery:)Some kiddie art too and some other friends art:)
      Inspiration!

      Delete
  5. So much in common. Love your little art area. I just brought my art supplies to the city and not sure where to put it all. Don't even know what chair I'll use yet for a long wood table to work on. I've been running around and planting. I bought some annuals and perennials but I am not sure where to plant. Kind of hodge podge. Shrimp and grits looks wonderful and homemade cinnamon rolls too. I need to vacuum and clean house which I don't want to do. Got a new phone and everything isn't working. That an my sister messed with the sprinkler system and it's going off at different times, even when it's raining. I am hopeless when it comes to any kind of technology. So, it is plant, price antiques for the booth, mess with technology things or clean house, non of which I want to do. I want someone to rub my head and tickle my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh! You are so busy in your head!:)
      I have a large wood table down there that Jacques built..but our computers and printer moved onto it:( I should really switch about..you just get into a I don't want to move anything rut:) Maybe next winter..and the light there is better..more natural w/ the windows:)
      I just dust busted instead of vacuming;)
      Have fun w/ the new technology..plants..
      I would pay someone to brush my hair and massage my back:) Here..and someone I love LOL.

      Delete
  6. Quels délicieux cinnamon buns !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. We were fortunate to taste a shrimp and grits at a resto..and we fell in love..we tried to recreate and it worked:)
      Thank you.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful weekend you had with your family.
    I love those kind of weekends.
    Your photos are wonderful and the food looks yummy. Especially those delicious rolls.

    Enjoy your week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Monday Monique!
    Sounds like you too had a lovely weekend...
    Your room is fabulous! Just like a real artiste! :o) {which of course you are}
    Those plates look absolutely beautiful...such a stylist you are...
    I also took some photos of my Forget-me-knots...aren't they just the sweetest wee flowers?
    Planning to post them maybe tomorrow...
    So nice to have the boys for the weekend...sounds like a lot of fun...foot massage,eh?
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ps...loved your hardware store story...:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda.. I know many of the same things that thrill you..thrill me..:)

      Our Littles.. blooms..good food..Get Miss V into foot massages..she will love them..especially if Nana is massaging them;)
      I adore Forget Me Nots..for their name..for the way they look..for how quickly they arrive!

      Delete
    2. I will try that on her....will have to wash her feet first...they are usually pretty stinky!
      Hahaha!

      Delete
    3. I have done that..they love it..I have a little white plastic thing from Dollarama..spa for them!Foot soak etc..

      Delete
  10. I will try the avocado rose. What a beautiful presentation!
    Your weekend sounds grand to me. Time with your littles and your sweet daughters. The forget-me-nots are so sweet, and the cinnamon rolls are making me hungry. I love seeing where you create. The wall with Carol's Paris sketches, all your inks and brushes and journals - like a true artist! Where my special cards were created! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)The drafting table..Jacques drew the plans of our house on it and used that same chair..I can still see him hard at work:)
      The Paris Letters are jewels ..I know you love them also..have a beautiful day Sarah..

      Delete
  11. Forget me Nots are my favourite flower, next to sweet peas. I love them too Yours are very beautiful. I cannot get any to grow in my garden. That salad is WOW! Your photography is amazing Monique. I can never get pictures like yours. Loving the breakfast buns, the morotcyclist and the shrimp and grits, but most of all loving see where you create some of your treasures. What a lovely little glimpse into your world. To me it is as pretty as a picture and much, much tidier than my own workspace. I am such a scatterbrain. It is all a mess when I am creating and it takes me days to tidy up what only took me a few hours to mess up. I will never understand. Thought about you all Mother's Day and your sweet mom. Glad you have lots of family around to soften those thoughts for you. Love and hugs always. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny? I find since I have been having to use that Tv mode the phots are a bit dull and gtrainy but at least the camera clicks..I am in the same spot as you with our changing light...but thank you Marie..all your encouragements feel good..so easy to make someone feel good:)x

      Delete
    2. Your photos are always gorgeous to me! I meant to say I love Nashville too! I think Deacon is my favourite piece of eye candy, and I love the music. xo

      Delete
    3. LOL..I love when some of the pretty boys please you..eye candy! So cute!
      Avery Barker:) I think he is so sweet!!

      Delete
  12. I have a tiny vase with forget-me-nots on my desk at work. They are so darling.
    I eat several avocados a week and will try the rose. Much prettier than the way I do it at my desk ;o)
    Your weekend is my idea of a weekend..I would be happy to rub Xavier's back, etc. like my grandmother did for me.
    Love the motorcyclist...my sister drives a harley. Not me ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she does? How cool!My daughter wont go on his motorcycle but Giuliana likes it.
      When I eat lunch standing yp..I eat the avocado straight out of it!
      I picture you love your work Debbie.

      Delete
  13. Adorable chair even though it's not comfortable! Happy and full of family weekend for you! Yummy photos, including your work area, very enticing! Love the hardware store story and a bit of your history. Your mind wanders freely and gracefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of a hodge podge and long..shorter I bet in the future..if I start a post too early..I keep adding;)

      I hope you noticed mes beaux arbres:)

      Delete
  14. I always learn so much here. Want to try the avocado roses, the banana bread and the cinnamon rolls. I love how you have plated the chicken and egg salads with the avocado. Your workspace is great and I am quite fond of that chair. Too bad that it is not comfortable. Maybe a chair pad? Sounds like you had a great MD weekend with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your guests would apprecate the roses..I am certain..
      I think I would like to have better posture..such as sitting upright when doing things..so important and I am hunched over..small seat low back..I saw once that Vivian Swift uses a wheelchair..works WONDERS for her:)

      Delete
  15. I love how full your life is and how well you describe snippets of it for us. I had a drafting table just like yours, but had to sell it before our move to the lake. I just didn't have room for it. Now, seeing yours, makes me miss it and all the things I did on it. Mostly scrapbooking. But I have a desk now that serves the same purpose. A suggestion....use your chair as a plant stand and buy a chair that is adjustable in height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent suggestion..and now that I think of it that chair does look like a plant stand and I'm not a plant:)!
      Thanks!Desks are perfect..upstairs I am much more comfy..but seeing all that stuff out upstairs would drive me absolutely nuts.

      Delete
  16. Hello Young Lady! :) This is funny. I started reading your post yesterday. Started down the worm hole of links and watched videos and searched for Nashville on Amazon Prime, etc., and then, poof, it was time to leave the computer and have dinner. So here I am today again :) Love the avocado flower! He makes it look so simple. I will try it! You had such a wonderful time with your boys! We had a fun MD with ours too and they'll be here for an overnight this weekend ♥. No big appetites yet but soon, I'll bet.

    Noah in his Harley jacket! Did you know that Harley Davidson is made right here in the Milwaukee area? There is even a museum. You should see our city when there is a big Harley Fest or anniversary! People drive their Harleys here from all over!

    I love what the hardware store girl said about living there and having the kids be friends :) And your craft room! You even have a store display case for your brushes? I wish I had a spot to keep things out and ready to go. Two ideas for your chair. You could make or buy a pretty cushion for the back, seat or both. Or, buy an inexpensive office swivel chair from Ikea or Target that can be raised or lowered to fit the height of the table.

    My Brunnera have full of little blue flowers now too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could add chair risers to a regular chair..never thouht of that but Barbara wrote and suggested it..or yes.. a very comf office chair that could go high enough:)

      That's Alain in his jacket I bet Noah will have one one day..but right now only Alain has the jacket..he loves everything HD or music/guitar..his chickens..garden..:)hunting..
      I started writing this post before MD and now I see the confusion as the boys slept over a different weekend..I just talked about it now:)
      The roses..just one on a piece of toast looks so pretty pour le lunch.
      I remember when ours hardly had an appetite..the next few years you will see huge changes..
      BTW never knew HD was from the Milwaukee area..I bet Alain knew..will ask.
      The brush holder..was bought on Varage Sale through Facebook and my daughters..it's big and if ever we move t will have to be donated somewhere..but for now..it holds longer brushes etc..I loved the vitage look of it too!
      Have full of flowers..stinkin'cute!!

      You have to start Nashville from the beginning..I must admit Country has never been my preference..but I got into the whole show..Rayna..and Juliet..Deacon..LOL..I am not even a soap operaish type of tv watcher.
      Bonne Journée nana2!

      Delete
  17. Oh what a wonderful post! All your posts are inspiring but I love that you spent time with your boys, made a gorgeous avocado flower - absolutely amazing! The rolls also look fantastic. I used to have a beautiful plant like that - so long ago. My son and daughter-in-law wear Harley jackets - not cops but all their friends are :) and LOVE your studio - the light is perfect. And last, but not least, your bowl of shrimp and grits is the prettiest I've ever seen! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Tricia..I am wondering when you will be giving online photo lessons:)!

      Delete
  18. A very lovely post today, Monique. I wondered how those avocado roses are made and will have to give it a try myself. Sometimes I don't have patience for fiddly things, but the rose is so pretty on the plate. I just started watching Marseilles...I hope I like it because so many of my favorite series are over. I miss DA very much. Sundays are the same without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been watching Call The Midwife?

      A tearjerer and a half this past Sunday:(
      I cannot bear to watch anyone suffer..and suffering they were:(
      Now Mr Selfridge has gotten better the last couple of weeks..

      Grantchester is done..we love that show..
      House of Cards is done too..
      Doawton was such a treat..I think we all miss it..The avo roses..are quite easy you will see..mind you a perfect avo is needed:)

      Delete
  19. Yes Please get a proper office chair!! It makes such a difference all around. Hmmm..do I see familiar Paris maps on your walls?
    Big Merci Monique
    Your food pics make me salivate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pin my Paris Maps on my wall:)

      Kind of looks like your Hall of Fame:)

      And that works for me..
      I do need a chair.. next...:)

      Delete
  20. Love those avocado roses - that's a lovely little video! Panted over those cinnamon rolls, truly! They look delicious - I do love pastries:) The coziness of your life with family is so dear - I like to think of you with the boys at night, snuggled in bed like little Beatrix Potter mice. And your colorful office, so full of brightness and joy. What a lovely post today, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you just comapred it to.
      I won't be able to not think of just that in the future..soon they will be too old..
      time goes by so fast.
      Now I see it.

      Delete
  21. What a fun post. Spending time with kiddos. I know you thoroughly spoiled those kids. Your wonderful cooking, baking and not to forget the wonderful massages. You are just a great Nana. Love the avocado flower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was totally living your each word!!' Your time with the boys sounded like a perfect time! What a sweet Mana. Loved hearing about your times that you worked. What a flower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You adore your Littles..I am sure you have many moments like these!!

      Delete
  23. Bonjour chère Nana,

    "Forget me not" !! Je les aime tant !... Mon grand-père les plantait aux pieds des framboisiers. Le myosotis empêchait le ver du framboisier.
    Une assiette très appétissante que celle de votre avocat. Une superbe présentation.
    Le gâteau est très tentant ! Il a l'aspect de celui que je fais aux fruits et crème d'amande à mes enfants qui adorent ça !
    J'apprécie de visualiser là où vous vous posez et où toute votre inspiration jaillit !
    Merci pour ce bel article ma chère Nana. J'en manque beaucoup ! en ce moment je ne suis pas souvent sur mon ordinateur, je profite des bienfaits de la nature avec le printemps qui est une saison que j'aime tant.

    Je vous envoie de gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Et c'est l'endroit le plus agréable..dehors au printemps..l'été..beaucoup plus de bonheur qu'au devant d'un écran!:)

      Delete
  24. Great article! I found your insights really informative. I would like to share information about the company. Opt for our Hybrid Application Development Company in Pune for a revolutionary digital journey that seamlessly connects native and web applications. Your triumph is our foremost objective, and we are committed to pushing technological boundaries to provide solutions that propel your business to unprecedented heights.

    ReplyDelete