Monday, October 22, 2012

Pickled Beets♥

One thing my mom made religiously:)  ..pickled beets..Jacques' mom also..
Having purchased those lovely colorful beets for salads etc..I decided to pickle these..
It's been so long since I have pickled them..I had to go to Les Recettes Du Québec..happily..they are Ricardo's recipe also:)

It's perfect weather for doing this..a few days were absolutely GLORIOUS..  I finished planting the tulips..and admired the perfect masterpiece of fall foliage..
Takes your breath away it does.
Even on rainy days..



We have no grass left as you can see..until we mow up and or blow/gather the leaves ..then it will be the most brilliant green..compared to the most brownish hue of this late summer....
We look out every day and say..Isn't it beautiful? Till the leaves..leave us..then..it is positively barren until the snow comes..
Anyways..pickled beets are such a nice condiment..  especially..in my mom's and Jacques' moms households way back when with tourtière~
So I pickled a few pots..and enjoyed looking at them..as their colors match the scenery to a "T"..
So easy to make..and nothing like canned pickled beets!

La Recette~


10 lbs beets
1 cup of water (reserved cooking water..strained)
2 tbsps coarse salt
2 1/2 cups of sugar
5 cups white vinegar

Boil the beets for ap 30-45 mins until fork tender..reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid(strained)
 Drain..Peel and slice..or quarter..as you wish..
place in pre -sterilized msaon jars
cook on medium high heat the 1 cup of reserved water..salt..sugar and vinegar until the sugar is all dissolved..
Pour into your Mason jars topping the beets..Seal.

I made the liquid mixture as I peeled etc the beets..
Recipe says it makes 4 1 liter jars..I used some of this and some of that:)
Lovely to have in stock~:)







12 comments:

  1. De formidables couleurs... Une idée recette des betteraves rouges ou carottes rouges comme on les appelle dans ma région idéale pour des petits plats "lumière"...
    L'automne est bien là!...
    Gros bisous ma chère Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickling is something I've never done, probably because I don't like the smell of vineger, but I like to eat anything pickled with cold meat. Your recipe sounds so easy & looks so colourful, just like the fallen leaves, like an orange carpet.Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have never pickled~
    I bought some tiny beets this past weekend,
    am definately going to give your recipe a try....crossing fingers.
    What beautiful colours of your autumn
    Just stunning.
    Shel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures takes my breath away.
    Where ever does one get TEN pounds of beats and fancy ones at that.
    Maybe I should move to Canada instead of Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous Monique. They look like roses in a jar. I've never pickled anything...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to say marinated:)Instead of "pickled":)

    They are tart and vinegary..a sweetness to them of course because of the sugar..
    Carol you can even get them at Walmart here at the moment in nice crisp cello bags with holes..
    They are reasonably priced too..

    Carol:) Paris is YOU:)

    Tiny beets would work Shel..but cook them less long..they have to have body..not mushy..

    Have a great week:)

    Carottes rouges:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty M.
    Like a little squirrel you are...storing up for the winter!
    Yes... it's is gorgeous out.
    xo, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beets! I usually eat them boiled, mixed with mayo or in a salad. Your jars with pickled beets look lovely! I am jealous. Your photos of fall foliage are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monique, your pickled beets are sooo beautiful! Love the colours. You have used heirloom beets I think. I had some this year for the first time and they were so pretty. I love pickled beets. They have always been my favourite beets of all. But then . . . I like beets in any way shape or form. Love your autumn photos as well. So very pretty, but then again, everything you do is! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as I adore beets, I've never pickled one! Strange but true :) I do love to eat them though and your photos of them look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All those beautiful leaves..in Montlouis we had leaves like that by the Loire. I loved walking through them, kicking them up; they just make you feel playful..
    And of course I adore your previopus post with les sablés de Paris. How can I not, when I adore Paris AND les sablés!
    Just love visiting..
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Ms. Magical M~
    Beets have always been one of my favorite vegs... since I was a wee one. You've presented them so beautifully!

    I LOVE your style my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete