Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Marie's Pizza Puffs~



You all know Marie~ I have made so many of her delicious recipes..I admire her photos.. her "PINS"..her stories..her adorable artwork.
She made these and I just couldn't resist~
They're called Pizza Puffs~



She explains them so well..
They aren't like pizza.. but the taste is like pizza especially w/ a lovely homemade
tomato/pizza sauce..



They are like mini Italian popovers.Light..airy cheesy..soft.

La Recette~ Courtesy of Marie~

*Pizza Puffs*
Makes 24 bite sized puffs


A tasty little appetizer that most people love. I have chosen to keep mine meatless, but you can add chopped pepperoni, or chorizo or cooked and crumbledbacon if you wish.

75g of plain flour (3/4 cup)
3/4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp dried marjoram leaves
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of chilli flakes
4 fluid ounces of milk (1/2 cup)
2 fluid ounces cream (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
120g of grated mozarella cheese (1 cup)
30g of grated strong cheddar cheese (1/4 cup)
45g of finely grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
85g of chopped mixed olives (I used green and black, the dry cured with herbs) (1/2 cup)
1/2 of a small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
a small handful of chopped sunblush dried tomatoes

To serve:
your favourite pizza sauce recipe, 1/2 cup
(reserve the rest for another use in the freezer)

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Butter a 24 hold mini muffin pan. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices and cheeses. Beat together the egg, milk and cream. Stir this into the dry mixture. Fold in the chopped olives, onions and tomatoes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Spoon into the muffin tin, dividing it equally amongst them. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.

Warm the pizza sauce through.

Serve the puffs warm along with the pizza sauce for dipping.


My Notes~

I followed Marie's Pizza Sauce recipe..but added some honey and 3 tbsps of grated parmesan cheese to the sauce.
I used green olives and soaked my sun dried tomatoes..these little puffs need the extra goodies Marie mentions.I am sure the meat lovers would love some Italian sausage or chorizo or prosciutto ..salami etc..in them.

It was snowing like crazy the day I made these for lunch ..they are an appetizer..but they made a delicious lunch on that snowy day~

I will make some this summer also for family BBQ's as hors d'oeuvres..something I think even the alphabet boys will like.


Thank you so much Marie~
Ciao:)

30 comments:

  1. Who could resist a plate of these cheesy little puffs? They would make a lovely lunch or dinner if served with soup or a salad. I haven't met Marie before and look forward to looking through her beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of recipes to serve my Muse book group when we meet at my house later this month. I think these might end up on the table. I'm off to "meet" Marie. Thank you!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'en prends un, puis deux, puis trois et... oh! je risque de finir le plat... Je me suis nourrie rien qu'en admirant tes photos et en te lisant...
    J'aurais dû prendre un verre de rosé!
    Gros bisous ma chère Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delish! What a lovely idea for a snack, a real crowd pleaser in your words Monique...this will be good for Jarryd and his friends when popping in between their lectures.
    You do everything so beautifully...I will pop by your friend's blog soon.
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they do make a perfect lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful! I love little puffs!
    My blog has moved by the way...from blogger to Wordpress here:
    http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love savory bread! it is perfect with almost any sauce and this one is no exception it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these puffs look cheesy and delicious! I love to pop a couple into my mouth right now :) The sauce looks wonderful too. I will have to make these for my family soon!

    The snow has finally decided to fall here too. Two snow storms in one week's time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Storming as we speak~ Jacques' made a bread..we have a leftover stew and home made sweet potato fries..But..I could munch on a few of these now..Fire is going..:)

    I bet your outdoor studio/potting shed etc looks beautiful right now Susan..

    I think all of you could enjoy this recipe,best served warm:)

    Have fun perusing Marie's blogs..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ces petites bouchées me font envie:)) Tes photos sont toujours aussi Magnifiques!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my!! I love the look of these pizza puffs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are wonderfully cheesy, aren't they? I do love little bits of things to nosh on when watching a netflix... nice change from popcorn! YOu do take such great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy these look amazing! I would love one or two right now! I will definitely try these....
    Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy these look amazing! I would love one or two right now! I will definitely try these....
    Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Monique, your puffs look fabulous! I just loved the way they smelled when they were baking. Just like a beautiful Pizzaria! Thanks for the nod! I will exchange snail mail addresses with you if you want to do an exchange of some wax paper for some of my own goodies. E-mail me! I can't find your e-mail address or I would e-mail you! You are too kind. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your little "breaths of fresh air" in the below post Monique. Moments to cherish.

    Who could resist these cheese puffs? Not moi.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice variation to the little cheese puffs! I am excited to try them. Thank you and Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks yummy! Italian popovers sound delightful. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. how delicious these look ! Beautiful too! So beautifully presented and of course photographed by you..
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. They really turned out so nice; love to find special treats like this. Everything is pictures perfect.
    We are in a snowstorm today.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Marie and everyone..hope you enjoy as much as i did.Puts those little muffin tins to good use too:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful concept...a little bite of pizza
    Please pass the bites!!
    to heck with green smoothies

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look delicious, nice with some soup or salad.
    Our first little bit of snow tonight, but it is supposed to warm up so it will disappear. I am so happy we have made it so far into January without it!.
    I am writing this from my ipad. It is a nice convenience, gift from ds. I would have never bought it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea. Gougere pizza are a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look as delicious as anything, and everything, on your blog!

    I found the recipe for these savory bites on Pinterest a while back, and have been making them for my little guy since. But he's not the only one who likes them. We also make them disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kathleen your son is so good to you:) and vice versa..my DD has one..they are so nice..I find blogs look even more beautiful on Ipads:) crisp clear..

    Sol:) I love seeing your blog..and I love when you visit.It keeps us connected:)They are kid ..and bigger kid friendly these ..

    Smoothies..green are a treat here:)

    We don't seem to eat as much as we used to:)
    have a great weekend everyone~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummy ~ and as always your presentation is sublime!

    What a wonderful recipe . . . Thank you Nana, thank you Marie!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. These puffs look wonderful! What a fun party snack - great football food too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These puffs look delicious and so much fun to eat. I like that there is no yeast involved in the making. These puffs would be a great appetizer for the Superbowl.

    ReplyDelete
  30. J'en ferai aussi, c'est sûr ! Ta photo fait tellement envie ! ;o)

    ReplyDelete