Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dorie's Salted Buttery Break~Ups~


Sunny little break apart French Galette type cookie..I love these..they are like shortbreads..and the presentation is lovely~


The recipe is so easy.. Just keep an eye on them..

They are like French sunshine..in Provence~










La Recette~
Salted Butter Break-Ups

yields 1 5"x11" cookie, which can be broken into as many chunks as you desire
adapted from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan

1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling if desired
9 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 18 pieces
3-5 Tbsp cold water
1 egg yolk, plus additional water

Put the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor, and pulse for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and pulse until you're left with pea-sized bits (in addition to some small flakes). Pulse the machine and add the water gradually, until it just barely forms a ball (this might not require the whole amount). The dough will be very soft.

Scrape the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, form it into a chubby square, and refrigerate for at least an hour (or a few days, if needed).

When the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment, or grease well. Let the dough soften at room temperature for a few minutes. Roll out (between plastic or waxed paper) into a rectangle that's about 5"x11", and transfer to the prepared sheet.
Beat the yolk with a splash of water, and paint it over the surface of the dough with a pastry brush (or, if you're me, a wadded up bit of the waxed paper you used to roll out the dough). Using the back of a fork, decorate the cookie in a crosshatch pattern by drawing the underside across in one direction, forming a series of tracks, then perpendicular to them. Sprinkle with additional salt, if you favor a pronounced salty-sweet flavor.

Bake the cookie for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is lightly golden (and slightly dark on the edges, if that's what you favor). It will be firm to the touch, but have a little spring when pressed in the center. Allow to cool to room temperature, then break it as you please, either before serving or at the table.


My friend lent me her recent book that this recipe was taken from.. the photo in the book did me in..It's a beautiful book..well worth having~

23 comments:

  1. Those flowers take my breath away! I know these cookies would be perfect with my cup of tea. Merci!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies sound just perfect for dunking in English Breakfast tea Monique - I love your vibrant sunflowers - they speak to me of beautiful sundrenched Provence!
    Have a wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique, I'll make these soon. My husband just asked me to make some more shortbread. I'll give these a try. Thanks! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breaking up a cookie at the table will be something new for my grandchildren and I'm sure they will like it.

    Simple, buttery cookies are my favorite. Beautiful photos as always, Monique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monique...I have Dorie's cookbook and love it. It's such a large book/content for the price. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to make any of her recipes but you inspire me to make these cookies. To tell you the truth, your photo is prettier than the one in the cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. since i am not baking you know i am here for the flowers :) you have dazzled me since day one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fortunate you are Monique to be able to grow these flowers and to have sunshine too! They grow so well in europe fields and fields....

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a fabulous book...your post took my breath away! Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci for the bright sunshine-y flowers. I needed them so much today!
    And thanks for the cookie recommendation too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always an inspiration to come here. I can just feel the butter melting in my mouth from these lovely cookies. The flowers bring such sunshine which I need as we are socked in for another day, where do I live - this isn't Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful, Monique. Those lovely summery yellows and that lovely shortbread cookie! Definitely will be making these....I've already copied the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Dorie. She rarely disappoints and neither do you with your wonderful photos.

    I haven't tried this recipe yet but all I needed to hear was shortbread-like and I'm ready to start baking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Provence in a cookie. Who could ask for anything more? I'll bookmark the page in my copy.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those flowers are breathtaking...as are the cookies. Shortbread are one of my favourite cookies ...so buttery and rich. I must try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this in the book and haven't made them as yet. Yours look lovely...I am motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monique, you make me smile...joy, absolutely!
    I will email you this weekend..
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Monique, so lovely . . . the flowers and the cookies! I love Dorie. I have this book. I have all her books. Her recipes are always wonderful. I have missed you posting!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. And you have your own well deserved book as you should..I think I mentioned how many saved tried and tried recipes I have of yours!
    I hope you all like them as much as we did..
    Thanks everyone..Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cela semble délicieux. Que de belles photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mouthwatering! I am always in such awe of your beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cookies and Spring flowers never fail to hug my inner child.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tout ce que tu photographie est magnifique ... tu es très douée !

    ReplyDelete