Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mocha Viennese Shortbreads~ And Babysitting:)

Yesterday I made yet more drizzle cookies..These are special if yoou like coffee..moka? and the lovely texture of a shortbread.
I first saw them in Canadian Living's December 2007 issue.I made them last year.Cut out the recipe and lept it..
That good they are.


I used my Wilton Cookie press..You make your cookies and there's a creamy mocha filling for the centres after they have cooled..then the holiday drizzle.

I love the look of them all lined up too..so pretty ..like little flowers.


We had a lovely evening babysitting a 9 yr old gentleman.. a 7 year old pretty in pink pj girl..and a 5month old little angel.
It was a breeze.The 2 older children know the little one's routine down pat and were soooo good and helpful..and nice.
They each read a book to their baby brother in bed and do a Gloworm show before bed.
It was so nice to see.
It was heaven to have Noah fall asleep in my arms:)
When our daughter came home she looked at me and said: "Nice make-up mom"! :)

I had let the Pretty In Pink one do eye make-up and lipstick on me..
It was a subtle shade of deep bright fuschia with sparkles.I like letting her do that.She takes great pride in her abilities.
What really surprised me is when my daugher said:"I hope you can get it off mom.. or you're going to look pretty funny at the office tomorrow'.She said..I mean it..I couldn't get it off last time ..:)You might need SANDPAPER.Oy.
This was too funny to me.. We cracked up...
In the end..it came off! Half a tub of Vaseline..but it's off:)

Oh well..It's The Santa Claus Parade today..I would have just looked like a participant on one of the floats I suppose.

Here is the recipe of these award winning cookies..Firt prize last year from the Magazine.

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup (175 mL) icing sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) instant espresso powder
1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (175 mL) cornstarch
Pinch salt
Icing:
3/4 cup (175 mL) icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, softened
2 tsp (10 mL) instant espresso powder
2 oz (60 g) good-quality milk chocolate
Preparation:
In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve espresso powder in vanilla; beat into butter mixture. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and salt ; stir into butter mixture to form soft dough.

Fit piping bag with 1/2-inch (1 cm) star tip; pipe 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) rosettes, 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart, onto 2 parch-ment paper-lined or ungreased rimless baking sheets.

Bake in top and bottom thirds of 350°F (180°C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, for about 15 minutes or until golden on bottom. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.

Icing: In bowl, beat sugar with butter until smooth. Dissolve espresso powder in 1 tsp (5 mL) hot water; beat into butter mixture. Spread about 1 tsp (5 mL) on bottom of 1 cookie; sandwich with second cookie, flat side down. Repeat with remaining cookies. Refrigerate until firm.

In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate; drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Store layered between waxed paper in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.)
Source
Canadian Living Magazine: December 2007

I had one with a pot of tea while making cards for Frances.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made them with a cookie press - when I saw pastry bag I started to tremble!! They look so fancy..great for a cookie exchange! The make-up , had to laugh..I remember seeing a picture of someone after they had TRIED to clean lipstick off from one of the little girls' kits - not a good result!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a perfect nana day! your cookies look gorgeous, i have not used my spritz press for over 30 years, but i still have it~

    i love coffee flavor.

    i am sure you enjoyed the fairy dust sprinkled on you last night, loving your blog thing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I bet you looked beautiful, Nana, and you made Pretty in Pink's day! I hope you got pictures, I have one special one where Jodie did my hair. OY would be the word to describe! We still laugh!

    The cookies. Fantastic. You're killing me!

    Love your blogging and I love the pic with the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely entry, Monique, you tell a sweet story. How kind of you to let Pretty in Pink do your make-up :) And I'm so glad that it came off and that you had LOTS of Vaseline handy.

    Beautiful cup and saucer ... and your teapot is elegant.

    The cookies sound tasty and look lovely ... I enjoy using my cookie press. For some reason ours only gets used at Christmas and for baby or wedding showers or retirement teas. Your recipe would be a good excuse to use it at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm....yummy! Come check out my cookie list and a giveaway!

    http://katiebarlow.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-christmas-cookie-list-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to come over to your blog and see your photos of perfection and hear your heartwarming story of Nana's babysitting night. The kids are so lucky to have a Nana like you and I hope to be one of your caliber some day...sadly not all are.

    The cookies look wonderful but the tea photo is making me go make a pot right now before I continue on catching up on all the blogs. I have a sink full of dirty marshmallow dishes but I have to see what my "friends" are up to first!

    Look, it is snowing in CA and CA at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see Jain shared the way to make it snow :)

    Your cookies are beautiful, M.

    I would have loved to have seen your make-over - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan..Jain made it snow for me..My wonderful webmaster.:)
    Maybe PIP whas trying to tell me something:)
    Being a nana is a sweet bonus of getting a bit older..a bit older:)
    Katie I went to peek..Very nice..

    I live in Canada..the shipping would be high..I didn't register..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful recipe. I can't wait to try it. You have a lovely blog!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete