Tuesday, December 9, 2008

La Tourtière Du Québec~



For years and years and years..I have had tourtière at every Réveillon de Noël I have been to.
My mom's ,my aunts,my mother-in-law's.. everywhere I go..Christmas Eve involves a tourtière.
The scent ..is part of every Christmas memory I have.
It's a tradition that is seldom strayed from!
My recipe..varies from year to year..because I do it "Au Pif"..as my mother-in-law used to say..
It means a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
I am not certain this word is in any French dictionary.But everyone knows what it means.

This year instead of Jéhane Benoit's(A Canadian baking/cooking Icon.. Diva.. our Julia Child )..general recipe..
which incorporates breadcrumbs..I opted for the potatoes.But I had to make them invisible..should my family see a strange addition..it would not be the same..
Turns out..pretty much the same:)

1 1/2 lbs lean minced pork*
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef*
2 onions..finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 small potatoes.. finely chopped in the processor after peeling
Salt and pepper
*Cinnamon(To taste but we put quite a bit)
Cloves.. a dash.
* Sometimes I put veal also..not this time.

Put pork in a large pan.. cover with water..just covered.. ..add potatoes.. simmer until no longer pink.
Add the rest of the ings. and cook through..Adjust seasoning.. some love celery salt in it too..
I remove some of the liquid that rises.

Use your favorite pie crust..
Fill.
Bake at 425 on bottom shelf of oven for ap . 15 mins.
Reduce temp to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 mins.



I made 24 small muffin ones for our Réveillon..so much easier for the buffet table..

8 small 4 inch ones for individual meals for my husband..
and one large 10 inch pie plate one.

I baked the small one for tonight and the 24 muffin ones..
Easy to reheat.
The rest were frozen w/ unbaked pie shells.
They cook up beautifully also.
They are great last minute meals to have in the freezer~

Shh..my husband sprinkles sugar on top.. something his "papa" did all the time.. and we have home made ketchup..a type of Chow Chow.. with it.
Today the weather was frighful..office closed early..
Frightful with the snow..but beautiful too!



PS to make the amount of Tourtières I made..
I made up 2 batches.

9 comments:

  1. they are gorgeous monique! i love your ribbon wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree they look wonderful. I am such a "traditional" person and I just love that this tradition is every Christmas you can remember! Your children will have these same memories now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Jain make we want to try these. You both made them so beautiful with your decorated crusts. The wreath is beautiful!

    I love tradition :)

    I see 'Merry Christmas' up there :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan..I love my Merry Christmas!

    You really don't have much to lose in trying it S.. 1.5 of pork and 1.5 of beef:)

    I made the big one w/ the Jain FDL:)
    Good luck Susan..and if I can help let me know..I made your toffee crunch this am..Some schools are closed here..So much snow!
    Good for Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection!

    Another FG & TS STAR is born!! :)

    I adore the little wreath and bow, you always make everything so especially pretty.
    Very, very BEAU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tradition! Gorgeous Tourtiere's! I am learning so many new things! So many fantastic things!

    Looks like a perfect thing to make on a cold, snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love your tradition, and thank you for sharing that with us. One of these days, I would like to add the muffin sized to our buffet table. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monique, such a lovely tradition ... Your tourtière is truly a work of art and LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mme. M, I have never made a Tourtiere, but if I did, this would be my inspiration. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete